Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The two sides of Rasteau

I find that our precious little Kitty has two very distinct sides. On the one hand he is an adorable little ball of fur who rubs against our legs, wakes us up in the morning with cuddles and purring, always wants to play (especially cache-cache with Lionel) and loves to be brushed constantly.

cute and cuddly Rasteau resting on a blanket in the closet
 
Rasteau being adorable between naps
 
On the other hand he is evil and sadistic, killing and torturing every mouse and lizard that comes his way like some sort of demented little serial killer. The other morning, instead of being woken up by the sweet and loving Rasteau, we were unexpectedly awoken by his malevolent evil twin.  Rasteau came running into our bedroom, meowing until we woke up, and then dropped his surprise right next to the bed...a mouse he had just killed.  One of the many, many mice that he has killed since we arrived in France.  He is a murderer and he's not ashamed!  But perhaps I'm just reading too much into this and he actually just wanted to bring us breakfast in bed.  And then, seeing that we weren't jumping at the chance to enjoy the meal, he didn't want to let it go to waste, so he proceeded to scarf the mouse down right in front of us while we were still trying to wake up.  Not exactly the best way to start the morning!

Rasteau and the mouse he brought us in bed
 
Then, not even an hour after the mouse incident, the wicked little furball comes running into the kitchen with a baby lizard in his mouth.  It was still alive and he dropped it on the floor. It was clear from the glint in his eyes that he wanted to continue his vicious games and torture the poor thing until it was nearly dead, finishing it off by crunching on it's still twitching body, as he has done with countless other unfortunate lizards since we got here.  Luckily Lionel and I caught the little villain in the act and I grabbed the cat while Lionel rescued the terrified little lizard and set him free.  Though chances are the evil Rasteau will get him again another day!
 
Poor baby lizard trying to climb the door frame and get away from my nefarious kitty 
 
I must admit, while I adore the loving and sweet Rasteau, his evil, murderous side sure do make things interesting around here!  I just wish he enjoyed killing spiders and insects as much as he likes to kill mice and lizards!

6 comments:

  1. So gross!! Naughty cat...this is the one aspect I do not miss about having a cat!! I had to laugh at him eating a mouse while you were trying to enjoy breakfast though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, he is a very naughty cat sometimes! I hate it when he brings home dead (or alive and suffering) creatures but then I look at his furry little face and he just seems so proud of himself and I feel bad for being angry.

      Delete
  2. My Jobu is an inside cat so he only gets to eat the occasional bug. I often threaten the squirrels that I am going to let Jobu out to hunt them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rasteau tried to get a squirrel once when we were in the US. He almost succeeded, but at the last minute the squirrel managed to wiggle it's way out of Rasteau's grasp and dash up a tree! I definitely wish Rasteau would concentrate more on bugs though, we have so many of them!

      Delete
  3. Ewww! Poor lizards and mice! Not waking up to dead or dying critters from outside is one of the things I love about having indoor cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I wish I could have an indoor cat! Or even another set up like we had in the KB...just a small private garden for him to go out with no creatures for him to catch. But alas, now that we have this house and huge garden there is no choice. We can't keep the windows closed all summer so no matter what he will be able to go out. Curse the French for not putting screens on windows!

      Delete