Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Where is printemps?

Last night we had what I hope will be the last snowstorm of the year.  I am so ready for spring to get here; I can't take any more of this cold weather and quite frankly I'm really starting to hate the snow!  Sure it looks pretty when you can just stay at home and enjoy it, but when you are actually out in it and have to get somewhere it is miserable.

We met up with a friend for dinner last night and the snow started while we were eating.  By the time we left the restaurant there was already a decent accumulation and the roads were pretty hazardous for the drive home.  As we got close to home we got stuck on a major two-lane state route for an hour because there was an accident at the bottom of the hill and they closed the entire road until tow trucks could get in and move the cars.  We couldn't turn around and go a different way because we were stuck on the side of the hill and the cars that were trying to turn around were all getting stuck trying to get up the hill so we just had to sit there and wait.  We ended up finally getting home much later than I would have wanted and as a result I got to bed late and was exhausted today.

When I got up this morning, already dreading my hour and fifteen minute drive to work in the snow, we had a good about 8 inches of accumulation.  I was not thrilled to have to clean all that snow off my car in the freezing cold and then head out on roads that hadn't been cleared at all or were only partially cleaned, driving a pathetic 20 miles an hour until I finally reached the highway, which was better, though not perfect.  I finally made it to work, but the combination of complete exhaustion and the misery of dealing with all that snow at 6:45 a.m. made for a very grumpy person who was not fit to interact with people today.

 The only bright side in all of this is that this will hopefully (fingers crossed!) be the last snow of the season, and with spring right around the corner I'm really hoping that I have survived my last Ohio winter!

as seen from my car on the way to work this morning

  
driving very slowly down a partially cleared road (I know, I shouldn't have been taking pictures while driving in the snow, but I had to document my misery and I was only going 10 mph)

the snow this afternoon, though some of it had already melted 

2 comments:

  1. There'll be no snow like that in Bordeaux. Whenever it snows (probably once a year) it melts almost right away. Just get ready for the rain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to live a relatively snow-free existence! I don't like rain either, but I think I prefer it to the snow. Of course, I say that now but give it a year and I'll be complaining about all the rain and wishing for snow for a change! :)

      Delete